What steps do I need to follow to dispose of Hazardous Waste?

Ever changing legislation means that both companies and general public find themselves producing waste that is now classed as hazardous. This type of waste has different disposal requirements from non-hazardous waste,so it's important that specific steps are followed in order to ensure that waste is disposed of in a legally compliant manner.

Waste is generally considered hazardous when it poses a threat to human health or the environment. This covers a broad spectrum of waste streams, from items such as acids, asbestos and waste oil to small batteries and domestic fridges and freezers.

It is the responsibility of the waste producer to employ the services of a licensed waste carrier to collect your waste and to ensure they are disposing of YOUR waste at a legal recycling/treatment facility. It's worth bearing in mind that not all disposal outlets are licensed to accept every hazardous waste stream.

BKP is unique in that it offers both a collection and disposal service as well as just a disposal facility. We also handle all the relevant legal paperwork when arranging the waste collection; giving our clients the peace of mind that everything is being taken care of. However, if you wish to transport your waste to our transfer station yourself, you legally need to hold a Waste Carriers licence to do this and BKP will request confirmation of this prior to your arrival on site. Penalties up to £5,000 can be incurred if you transport waste without one.

Registration for a waste carriers' licence is simple and usually free if you are the waste producer and once you are registered, your organisations details will appear on the public register. You can find out more, or register on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

Also, don't forget that with the transportation of hazardous waste, each load needs to be supported with an Environment Agency consignment note. To find out more about this legal documentation, visit: EA website for consignment notes

There are a few exceptions to this rule; one being that if you are a domestic client, you will only need to fill out a consignment note if you are transporting Asbestos waste.

Additional information will be required for the completion of these forms such as your company's Standard Industrial Classification (SIC)code. This is a code generated to describe the business activity that produces the waste. You'll also need to check the EWC (European Waste Catalogue) and select an appropriate code for disposal. The EWC code describes the waste produced.

Enoyed this article? Share on social!